For the benefit of those who don't have the programming hardware needed to do it themselves, I am offering the preprogrammed chip needed for my Pixecutor hack. The price is USD $1 per chip, plus $2 per order (higher outside USA) to cover packaging and postage. (Note that the wiki site linked above has somehow been reverted to an older version, predating my upload of the Pixecutor info. For now, see here instead.)
What you get with your order
- A PIC12F508-I/SN microcontroller chip (SOIC-8), programmed with the Pixecutor code and verified.
- A random 1/4W resistor. You can clip its leads to use for the two needed jumper wires.
What you DON'T get with your order
- Instructions. Instead, see these step-by-step illustrations at Instructables.com.
- A guarantee. I cannot be held responsible for your level of soldering skill. Read the instructions first, and decide for yourself if you're capable of following them. You accept all risks, including the risk of completely destroying your JuiceBox if you mess things up badly enough.
- The $2 shipping charge is valid in the USA only. Ask me before ordering if there isn't a "buy now" button for your country below.
- Payment is accepted via PayPal only. (Unless you happen to be in the vicinity of Ponca City, OK, in which case you can stop by my used book store and buy a chip in person.)
- Orders shipped within Oklahoma must add local sales tax (on the $1 cost per chip, not the shipping) to the order total.
- To keep costs down, orders will be shipped in padded envelopes. It is possible that the PIC pins will get bent in transit. However, since installation requires bending several of the pins anyway, I don't consider this a problem. Just bend pins back into place if they aren't supposed to be bent otherwise.
- It is my intention to ship orders within one business day, IF I have the chips on hand. If you place an order just after I've run out, there may be a delay of up to an extra week while I order more blank chips and wait for them to arrive.
- Keep in mind that the Pixecutor code is free for any use. If anybody else would like to sell preprogrammed chips, or offer installation services, that's wonderful: let me know and I'll link to you here.
CHIPS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!
Sorry, but I've run out of blank chips, and they can only reasonably be purchased in a quantity far greater than the number I expect I could ever sell at this point. Feel free to contact me if you would be interested in a bulk purchase (25 minimum), but for any smaller quantity I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Ready to order? $1 per chip, plus shipping.
Questions & comments
can be directed to me at JasonHarper@pobox.com.